Warm Dandelion and Bacon Salad
* 9-10 ounces of fresh dandelion greens
* 5 ounces of potatos * 5 ounces of pork belly (uncured, unseasoned bacon) * 1 shallot, finely minced* 1 medium yellow onion, finely minced
* 2 tbsps of red wine vinegar
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the dandelion leaves. Use smaller leaves preferably, but if using larger leaves, tear them in halves or thirds.
2. Boil the potatoes (unpeeled) for about 20-30 minutes until done. Peel and mash.
3. Cut the pork belly into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces. Sauté them in a small pan until crisped. Keep pork in pan and set aside for now.
4. Using a heavy or cast iron skillet, add the dandelion leaces, smashed potatoes, shallot and onion.
5. On low heat, begin to cook the mixture, stirring frequently. The dandelion leaves will begin to wilt quickly in the heat.
6. While the mixture above is beginning to cook, reheat the skillet that contains the crisped pork belly. When warm, add the vinegar, stirring frequently to cermelize the pork and vinegar. (about 1-2 minutes time).
7. Add the pork to the dandelion mixture, along with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine and serve immediately. Make homemade dandelion Vinegar